Monday, February 28, 2011

Mission (mostly) accomplished...

So I set off from finishing my last blog post with a spring in my step toward the sewing room, intent on getting things done.
First cab off the ranks was the denim hat. I finished the binding on the brim.. check. Next up, attaching brim to crown. After much fiddling, sewing, unpicking, sewing, unpicking (you get the vibe) it was finally attached. Alittle grosgrain ribbon to finish the inside, some hand sewing and voila! finished. Or so I thought. On checking the fit on Miss G, I noticed that i hadnt attached the brim to the crown straight. This wouldnt have been a problem if not for the fact that I'd topstitched everything in a bright blue. Lets just say its pretty obvious. So back to the 'to do' pile it goes.

Next, the red spotty hat. Should be a cinch I think. No such luck. I've decided that the way the pattern finishes the hat doesn't really satisfy my standard of 'finished'. Back to the 'to do' pile.

Next, costumes for the girls. Cutting went off without a hitch. Sat at the machine to put it together and my machine starts to skip stitches. At this point Im just alittle over it all. Call in "mrs fixit" AKA my mum. We change needles, adjust tensions, change cottons, rethread the machine, all to no avail. Mum takes the materials home and completes two gorgeous fairy costumes in 3 days. No mean feat but she did it, and here they are:
The only credit I can take on these is buying the fabrics. At this point, my sewing mojo is threatening to leave me again.

Ok, final project of the week. A present for the birthday girl. I have been meaning to make a hair clip stand / frame for my girls for some time. It went together really easily. Of course my girls are going to have to wait for one of their own.

I had enough time to make some hair clips for the birthday girl as well.

Her mum tells me that it was well received and well timed. The birthday girl had received a number of hair clips as presents.

Yes I am alittle disheartened by my fails of the week but I guess every mistake is a lesson learnt. This week I aim to:
Finish the two hats;
Make some dresses for the girls;
Investigate some new sewing machine options;
Not be so hard on myself!

Last but not least, a very big THANK YOU to Lisa for sending me a large bag of beautiful scrap fabrics. I have been inspired by the array of fabrics and its sent my mind ticking over with ideas. Thanks so much Lisa!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Monthly update!

Despite all good intentions I find myself blogging again a month after my last blog entry. My creativity and willingness to step into the 'sewing room' (aka the dining room) was sapped for a while. Melbourne weather is non existent. Its been replaced by balmy, sultry days and humid nights which is sapping all my energy. Or sapped... a return to Melbourne's cool days and cold nights has once again rejuvenated my body and my energy has (somewhat) returned due to a good nights sleep.

So here are some projects that have been completed, are to be completed or have yet to be started. My aim is for the end of the week. Im hoping the cooler weather continues.

First up, I came across this cool tute for a mail organiser on a blog called Noodleheads and set about spending a little money at the local mega craft place. On returning home with all the supplies I needed, I found my staple gun wasnt working (actually it will never work again... the handle just dropped off). This was a major grrrr moment as I'd been planning to make an organiser for a friend celebrating her birthday today. What to do.... and then I spotted this equally cool tute for a clutch bag. As the tute says, more time is spent selecting fabric and cutting it. Assembly is pretty easy. Here is the finished clutch.

I dont think the gathering is so obvious on my clutch. Might just be the colours or pattern of the fabric. I'll definately be making a few of these for the present stash. They are pretty easy and cute.

Here is the mail organiser, minus everything except the backing fabric (which is only just hanging on with adhesive spray). Back to mega craft place this week to buy another staple gun.

Also on the cards this week is putting the finishing touches to this sun hat.
Im going to have to get Miss A to model this hat. Its so cute on.

And finishing attaching the crown to the brim for this sun hat as well as some binding.

When all that is done (with some luck and help from my super mum), this fabric and tulle will make a water fairy and tinkerbell costume for my girls who are going to a birthday this sunday. Ive got my fingers, arms and legs crossed hoping that they will turn out.

And to top things off, a present for the birthday girl who's birthday we'll be celebrating on Sunday!

Lastly, I recently took advantage of a sale on Vogue and McCalls patterns online. In Australia, buying paper patterns is ridiculously expensive. Ofcourse, shipping was a factor for these but all up, i spent less per pattern than I would have if I'd bought them from a retail outlet here. I deliberately decided to buy lots of dress patterns. I dont often wear dresses because I can never find anything that 1. I like and 2. fit me nicely. So, inspired by bloggers like Lisa, Im taking the plunge into adult dress making. Wish me luck!